We have almost twenty-five team members to serve you, from the areas of circulation, help desk, children’s, administrative, cataloging, and maintenance. We also have about 60 dedicated volunteers that help us in providing excellent service to our patrons.
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities available.
We encourage you to fill out an application at the library or talk to Diane at (724) 837-5620.
We are always interested in speaking with those working towards a degree in library, education, marketing/PR, technology, and English. We are also open to those who need an internship outside of those majors who have strong customer service and creative experience. Contact Sara at (724) 837-5620.
JOB TITLE: Summer Children’s and Teen Program Assistant
REPORTS TO: Head of Children’s Department
ABOUT: The Greensburg Hempfield Area Library is seeking a temporary part-time Program Assistant for a 12-week period (15 – 20 hours per week) during the summer to plan and execute programs for children ages 6 months old through teens. The Program Assistant will be asked to develop quality, educational programs for children of various ages and lead the programs with groups of children. The Program Assistant will also be asked to take programs to various outreach sites within the community. These programs will promote early literacy and lifelong learning about a variety of topics. The Program Assistant will work with other members of the Children’s Department to plan and carry out programs and activities for children of various ages. The hourly salary range for this position is $8.50 – $9.00.
This is an excellent opportunity for Early Childhood Education and Education students to gain experience working with groups of children, which may add value to their portfolios.
- Lead “Storytime STEM-Pack” activities with children – using books to explore STEM concepts
- Develop and present preschool storytime outreach
- Develop and present activities for school-age children
- Promote library youth programs
Education & Desired Experience:
- High school diploma, some college preferred
- Previous youth related work or volunteer experience
- Knowledge of childhood development and educational strategies
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work cooperatively with Children’s Department team members
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint and Excel
Physical Requirements/Work Conditions:
- Ability to sit/stand for moderate periods at desk/computer throughout the day
- Some lifting, bending and stooping required, ability to lift 35 pounds
- Some programs may require moderate activity in the outdoors
While most programs take place at the Greensburg Hempfield Area and Youngwood Area Public Libraries, some programs take place at community locations, occasionally at more than one location during the day. Having access to reliable transportation is important.
All library positions require the following criminal background and child abuse clearances: Report of Criminal History from the Pennsylvania State Police; Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services, and Fingerprint ID based on Federal Criminal History submitted through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent (FBI). Child Abuse Mandated Reporter Training is also required.
To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and three references to Jessica Kiefer, Head of Children’s Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be received through March 7, 2020 or until the position is filled.