Started as a books-only library by the community-minded Concord Club with help from the Greensburg College Club, the Greensburg Hempfield Area Library was founded in 1935. Doors were opened on the Maple Avenue location in 1936. The library has relocated to a handful of locations over the years, including a building on the corner of South Main Street and East Third Avenue. In 1969 the library moved to its present location on South Pennsylvania Avenue. The building was the former post office, initially constructed in 1912. There are still historical markers inside the building, such as the words “Post Master” over a door in the Pennsylvania Room where, fittingly, local history resources are held.
In 1990, the Greensburg Library added those communities in the Hempfield Area School District to its service area. In 1997, the library added a second floor with a beautiful 3,000 foot children’s library and increased its children’s programs and services. Then, in 2009, the library added the Youngwood Area Public Library as a branch at the request of Youngwood’s board of directors.